Saturday, September 11, 2010

my first day!

This is my half, with my bed and desk. 
well today, September 11, is my first real day in Spain! I am really excited for the new experiences to come, but what I can say is will they come already! I never thought I'd be one to miss home, but there's something different about being 5,000 miles away from home and gone for ten months as opposed to a few hundred and at camp for a couple weeks. Yesterday and last night were hard, being overwhelmed with all the Spanish and not yet having my brain switched onto Spanish mode, and of course missing everyone. Being on a cramped plane for 8 hours doesn't help with anxiety, or a steamy hot rotary blazer for that matter! I woke up at the normal time here, still pretty whipped out, and took a quick hot shower and organized. Later I am going to the market with Almudena, my new mom, and then were are going to a street market/party later in the night. I enjoy Almudena and Oscar, my new parents, a lot they are very nice, and Oscar knows english so it makes it a little easier with words i don't know yet. Lucas, my new eight year old brother, is exactly like my little brother at age eight, wild and rambunctious. Going around playing games with himself, and talking a mile a minute though most of us, especially me, have no idea what he's saying. I share a room with my new sister Alejandra, who i have yet to meet, and this is what it looks like.  There are amazing views of Madrid at night with all the lights, and almost every room in the house has a patio off of it! i look forward to having more cool adventures!
Sarah ☮ツ

3 comments:

  1. Sarah! So glad you madevit :) i hope your having a good time!! Can't wait to here your new adventures! I love your penguins on you bed, it's you. Ha. Have a good time!
    Kelly s

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sweetie - I can't wait to see the pictures of Madrid at night. Your blog makesme feel like I am right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh- Bless your sweet heart, Sarah- I am sorry to hear that you had a rough time leaving home. I am sure you will adapt quickly as you are a very strong and intelligent girl. Coincidentally, one of my best friends from high school was an exchange student from Spain. She did not come to the US through an organized program like the Rotary. She was not very happy with the family she lived with so ended up spedning most weekends with me. My espanol was and is muy pobre and Angelica barely learned to speak english in the 13 months she was in VA, but we had many great times and laughs together. I am sure, once things settle down and you get into the routine of school, you will have- at the least - as enjoybale of an experience. Certainly you may be overwhelmed in the big picture of things now, but try to be thankful for all of the new and different little experiences you are having each day. You are very lucky and I am very proud of you.

    (In case you're wondering who the heck is emailing you)

    Mrs. Broughton (Your 7th grade Humanities Teacher)

    ReplyDelete